Why You Should Read My Book

My Other Body: a memoir of love, fat, life, and death came out in 2006. Since then, it's helped a lot of readers open up about body image and eating issues that are very hard to talk about. Here's why you might want to read this book:

  • If you have an eating disorder and think no one could possibly understand what you're going through, you should read my book. I've been there and wrote down what it's like. You're not alone.

  • If you feel you are being robbed of your life by your weight, you should read my book. You don't have to feel that way, no matter what size you are.

  • If you love someone but feel anxious because of their body or weight, you should read my book. It may help you find ways to talk to the person you love.

  • If you are a medical professional who researches or counsels people about weight loss, eating disorders, or body image, you should read my book. It's a case study of the ways your patients try to maintain their sanity and dignity (but may not tell you).

  • If your doctor (or parent or pastor or whoever) does not seem to see people in larger bodies as human beings, you should give them my book to read.

  • If you are interested in medical stories, you should read my book.

  • If you have a sister you love as I loved Joyce, you should read my book.

  • If you have a daughter who will someday deal with body image pressures, you should read my book.


Want to know more? Go to the web site. Want to order the book? Please order from the web site — it supports me directly. Also, if you order by March 31, you'll be helping buy bikes and maybe getting one for yourself.