I am not a broken thin person

I am not a broken thin person.

My bald father is not a broken curly-haired person, nor a broken young person. My alcoholic uncle was not a broken sober person. My young friend who lives on the east side of Kansas City is not a broken suburbanite.

No matter how we got to our current states, we are in this moment who we are. I am not going to wait until I am "fixed" to do all the things advertisers tell me only the thin can enjoy. I'm going to start where I am to make my life as rich as it can be.

I am not a broken thin person.

Nor do I think that carrying as much fat as I am is the best condition for my body. Nor do I think that a number on a chart can dictate the best condition for my body.

Because I am not broken, I can keep learning to make sensible decisions about movement, food, and stress to continually move my body toward its best condition. Because I am not broken, I don't have to wait to live my best and fullest life.

And because I don't know how long my life is, I refuse to live a moment more of it saying "not thin yet," "not there yet." Who cares if I'm "there"? As long as I'm fully, energetically, with my whole body and whole heart, HERE and engaged in this life.

(Cross-posted from A Sunny Hello.)

0 comments: