My First Strap-on

Well that ought to get me some blog traffic. Here is a picture of the shoulder immobilizer.



I have been wearing it pretty much nonstop for two weeks. Sexy, no? It is also improving my posture. I still need to wear it when I sleep for another week. After 3 weeks I should have all my scar tissue, so less chance I will pop my shoulder free when I'm asleep.

Can you imagine? The orthopedic surgeon said it happened to one of his patients when her fat cat slept on her arm.

What you should know if you have to wear an immobilizer:

(1) The trick to putting it on for yourself is to do the rib cage band first and then twist it into place.

(2) After a week, the wrist velcro is going to lose its sticky.

(3) In the morning your shoulder will feel great but your arm won't move as freely. Go ahead and tell someone you are waking up stiff every morning. See what they say.

Today was my first day out, my arm dangling uselessly as instructed by the ortho. I kept checking all day to see if my shoulder was falling out of place. A couple of times I moved my arm inadvisedly. Whoooooo! Hooray for instant bio-feedback! Look at all those working neurological mechanisms! Awesome!

And I should maybe follow up with the very sweet older woman who inquired after my health by asking, "Are you still wearing your strap-on?"

Yes, but it's better. Now I only wear it to bed.

0 comments: